Skip to main content

Why I Don't Have A New Year's Resolution


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!"
2 Corinthians 5:17

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."
1 Corinthians 13:11

The Problem: The Resolution
It's the time of the year where people have what is so called "The New Year's Resolution". People promise that they will not eat fatty food, that they will lose those extra pounds (worth of spaghetti, ham, lechon, and everything cholesterol), that they won't be late for work(or for school), that they will not spend too much, that they will move on (from that breakup), that they won't eat ice cream (except if your are one of the people who are moving on. Good luck!)

See, these are all good things to consider but based on the idea of a resolution, there is this idea that there's something to resolve. It means there is a problem and I find it negative. It seems there's always something wrong and I think that is the problem. It is focused on correcting what's wrong instead of improving and learning something new.

As Albert Einstein said, "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.".

If we keep on resolving the same problems over and over again, then what's the point? The thing is it's in the thinking itself, the mindset, that's faulty, not the problem.

The Resolution: The Problem
Now that we know that the mindset is the problem then what to do now? We change our mindset first not our actions.

You character is defined by the things you are committed to. Your commitment is defined by your habits. Your habit is defined by what you do most of the time. What you do is defined by your actions. Your action is defined by your thoughts.

It all starts in the mind.

In the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, the habit number two is Begin With An End In Mind. It states that before you begin something, you must first have a clear vision of your end goal and you intentions in doing it. It may be a good goal but you may have the wrong intention. It must start with the correct intention. You want to be fit. Why?  Because your co-worker has that beach body? If you just do something because you compare yourself with others then you will only, surely, 100% disappoint yourself in the future. Why? Because you are not her. You want to be rich. Why? Because your neighbor has a sports car. Again, you're on your way to disappointment. But think of this way: you want to lose pounds because you want to look good. Because when you feel good you do good. When you do good you are more efficient and productive. You want to be rich because you want to give your own future family a better living, kids going to school, has a nice house to live in, you want to give to charity to help other people in need. 

It all starts in the mind.

New Year's Accomplishment
Before, I was trying different things on how to improve myself. Most of the time it did not work. I realized those did not work because I have the wrong reasons in doing it or my intentions were not clear about it. So, I began to think on what causes the problem. I began to find answers in books by reading and applying.

One of the books that changed my mindset and how I see the world is 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, and CashFlow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki.

I really recommend these books. If you want to improve your actions, improve your thoughts.

So, if you are reading this blog, then congratulations! You are one baby step ahead of becoming a CEO (at least of your life).

That's all for now.

Thanks for reading :)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts With A Baby Step

Hi, there! :) I'm Keith and this is my first post in my blog. I hope to document all my efforts, experiences, successes, failures and struggles of a person aspiring to be a CEO someday. Well, it might take me a long road or a fast track. I may never know what'll happen but that is the fun side of it, right? :) I made this blog so that I can inspire and help other people from all around the globe who share the same aspirations and dreams that I have; so they may be empowered that anything is possible when you put your mind, heart and soul into it. Your mind; so that you may clearly see. Your heart; as your fuel so that you may keep going. Your soul; that you may seek God when it seems something bigger than you blocks your way. I am very excited to share this path so that I may learn from you and others may learn from me as well. Thanks for reading :)

An Inch, A Yard and A Foot

"Who thinks an inch, but talks a yard, needs a kick in the foot." ~ Chinese Proverb That is a quote I read before way back in college. I still remember it till now by memory. I just don't know who said it so for the benefit of the doubt, I Googled it. And so, I still learn something new: geez I'm getting old (aside from it's a Chinese Proverb). I really like that quote because it has some wit in it to use the words of measurement and to imply to disdain inaction. Here in The Philippines we have a proverb that says, "Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan, hindi makararating sa paroroonan." (The one who never looks back won't ever arrive to his destination.) That proverb tells something about looking back and paying tribute to the people that were behind your success. Because no man's an island and there is really no 'self-made' success. But what I also like about the proverb is that it tells something about another thing

About Me

My photo
Keith Fajardo
Keith is a software developer who aspires to be a CEO someday :)